Selecting a Childminder
A Childminder - that's right for your family
This is a process that may require several visits or contacts. Typically parents are looking for a Childminder that replicates their own style of care. In order to choose a Childminder that best suits your family, it is important that your decisions are led by your family needs and priorities in relation to Childcare.
Some suggested questions which help inform your decision:
- How long have you been Childminding?
- What is a typical daily routine, including food provided, tv access, sleep or rest time, homework support?
- Who else would be in the house while my children are here, including other minded Children?
- Do you take the children out into the local community e.g. post office, grocery shopping?
- What are your available hours?
- Are all adults that will be in regular contact with my children Garda Vetted?
- Are there family pets?
- Please remember to check references provided.
We would advise that you have a written contract between you and the Childminder, including rate of pay, frequency of payment, method of payment, holidays, sickness or absences, opening hours, notice of termination, items to be provided by parents eg. nappies.
We would also advise you to ask for proof of Childminding Ireland Membership, Garda Vetting, Insurance (business and motor), First Aid and Childcare Training.
You can review further information on our recommendations to Childminders on the Interview Process here.
If you would any further assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01 2878466.