Getting your Home ready
You need to decide if your Childminding service will use the whole house or not. Which areas will be off limits? Do a basic safety check on your home! See these Child Safety tips
You may need some or all of the following:
- Stair gates – for stairs, and any other off limit areas.
- Socket covers for any floor level sockets, cord covers for wires, and covers for sharp corners and edges.
- Child proof locks - make sure poisonous products are safely out of reach.
- Watch this series of YouTube videos on Child Safety from the Health Service Executive to help you think through all aspects of child safety.
- Get fire safety equipment as needed. Smoke alarms and batteries, a fire extinguisher, a fire blanket for the kitchen.
- Make sure you get any extra car seats, cots, and mattresses, buggies or high chairs you need.
- Have a range of toys, books and equipment, for different age groups, outdoors.
- Check your garden for any hazards.
- If you need help to cover the costs, the Childminders’ Development grant may be available.